Monday, August 10, 2009

Exercise for Senior Health




Exercise is a key ingredient in a healthy lifestyle â€" whether you are 20 or 70. Physical activity can improve strength, balance and brain function as well as prevent disease. Along with building a strong cardiovascular system, the benefits of exercise are significant at any age, and can be especially important to maintain senior health. Studies have shown that regular exercise for seniors is vital to senior health and to the prevention and treatment of many medical conditions including Alzheimer’s disease and Osteoporosis. Some seniors become less active as they grow older, but the importance of regular exercise to their health increases as they get older. Learning low impact exercises and strength training techniques can improve bone structure and brain function.Senior Health, Exercise, and Alzheimer’s diseaseAlthough there is no cure for Alzheimer’s disease, the onset may be slowed or even prevented through exercise. Cardiovascular activity may increase blood flow to areas of the brain that deal with memory, improving brain function. It’s recommended that you do some sort of cardiovascular activity three or more times a week to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Some common cardio activities include:• Walking â€" 30 to 60 minutes 3 or more times a week.• Running â€" 30 to 60 minutes 3 or more times a week.• Bicycling â€" 30 to 60 minutes 3 or more times a week.• Swimming â€" 30 to 60 minutes 3 or more times a week.Senior Health, Exercise, and OsteoporosisOsteoporosis is common among seniors and is a major senior health care issue. As we age our bones naturally become weaker. The calcium needs at age 50 increase dramatically and many people don’t get enough calcium in their diet or vitamin supplements. Regular exercise can treat and even reduce the risk of Osteoporosis. Impact and pressure put on the bones from exercise cause them to strengthen to support the extra weight, boosting bone mass. The following exercises can help treat and prevent Osteoporosis, improve senior health, and reduce the need for senior health care:Weight-Lifting â€" By lifting weights you’ll put more pressure and weight on your bones, leading to a gain in bone mass. Weight lifting also increases metabolism and blood flow to the brain for enhanced brain function. Do this activity two to three times a week for 30 minutes. Cardio â€" Cardiovascular activity such as walking, running, and climbing stairs will force your bones to grow because of the impact and weight placed on them. Walking outside is more helpful to maintain balance and mobility than walking on a treadmill or using exercise equipment emulating stairs. Seniors interested in lower impact cardio activities can ride a bicycle or elliptical machine. Cardio activities should be done four to six times a week for 30 to 60 minutes. Stretch â€" Stretching not only improves your flexibility, but provides a solid foundation for muscle growth. You’ll see muscle gains faster and easier when stretching. Training for Balance â€" Balance is vital as we get older and unfortunately only decreases with age. Training for balance is important for the prevention of falls. Yoga and tai chi are great activities for improving balance, flexibility, and muscle control.--Stephanie Rice has been an active social worker and advocate of senior health care for over 11 years. She is dedicated to senior health, and helping seniors make a smooth transition from independent living to a senior health care facility. Recently she has had a major impact on the launch of www.FloridaSenior360.com, which is a Website for senior living and senior health.Source: http://www.articletrader.com
Photobucket

Related Posts :



24 comments:

  1. Hey! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?

    I'm getting sick and tired of Wordpress because I've had issues with hackers and I'm looking at options for another platform. I would be fantastic if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

    Here is my homepage Pro Collagen

    ReplyDelete
  2. If some one desires to be updated with hottest technologies therefore
    he must be go to see this web page and be up to date daily.


    Stop by my web blog Lean muscle x review

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello there, You've done an incredible job. I will definitely digg it and personally recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll be benefited from this website.



    My homepage - Diet Patch Today

    ReplyDelete
  4. I go to see each day a few web sites and websites to read articles, however this webpage provides
    quality based articles.

    Here is my website Swiss rose review

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there, i read your blog from time to time and i own a
    similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot
    of spam responses? If so how do you prevent it, any plugin or
    anything you can suggest? I get so much lately it's driving me crazy so any support is very much appreciated.

    Look into my blog post sytropin review

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you are going for best contents like myself,
    only visit this website every day as it provides quality contents, thanks

    my page ... 1285muscle reviews

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to protect against hackers?
    I'm kinda paranoid about losing everything I've worked hard on.

    Any suggestions?

    My homepage :: Pure Garcinia Cambogia

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can I just say what a comfort to uncover someone who truly understands what they're talking about online. You definitely understand how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More and more people need to check this out and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you aren't more popular since you certainly have the gift.


    My weblog Diet Patch Review

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been surfing online more than 3 hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It's pretty worth
    enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers
    made good content as you did, the net will be
    much more useful than ever before.

    Also visit my page :: http://raspberryketoneplusblog.net

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm extremely impressed with your writing skills as well as with the layout on your blog. Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a nice blog like this one nowadays.

    My website; Order Raspberry Ketone Plus

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was very happy to uncover this page. I need to to thank
    you for your time for this fantastic read!! I definitely savored
    every bit of it and i also have you book marked to look at new stuff in your web site.



    my blog post ... Suggested Internet site

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice answers in return of this matter with solid arguments and explaining all on the
    topic of that.

    Here is my page ... Ultra Slim Patch Weight Loss

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent, what a web site it is! This weblog presents useful facts to us,
    keep it up.

    Here is my homepage TruVisage Anti Aging

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'll right away snatch your rss as I can't find your email subscription link or newsletter service.
    Do you've any? Please permit me recognise so that I may just subscribe. Thanks.

    Take a look at my blog: dry skin around eyes

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am extremely inspired along with your writing talents and also
    with the structure for your blog. Is this a paid subject or
    did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the excellent quality writing,
    it is uncommon to peer a great weblog like this one nowadays.
    .

    Feel free to surf to my homepage ... Buy green coffee

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet people, its really really good
    paragraph on building up new webpage.

    my web blog - Automated pay days reviews

    ReplyDelete
  17. It's enormous that you are getting ideas from this article as well as from our argument made here.

    Here is my web site :: Liposom reviews

    ReplyDelete
  18. Today, I went to the beach front with my children.
    I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4 year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her ear and screamed.

    There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
    She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic but
    I had to tell someone!

    Stop by my homepage ... Home Staging MN

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very quickly this web site will be famous among all blogging and site-building
    visitors, due to it's pleasant posts

    My web page ... Buy Ripped Muscle Xtreme

    ReplyDelete
  20. I’m not that much of a internet reader
    to be honest but your sites really nice, keep it up! I'll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back down the road. Cheers

    Also visit my web-site: Power Pump XL Review

    ReplyDelete
  21. Every weekend i used to pay a visit this site, for the reason that i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this site conations actually good funny information too.


    Take a look at my web-site ... Pure Raspberry ketone

    ReplyDelete
  22. Pretty! This was an incredibly wonderful post.
    Thank you for supplying this info.

    Feel free to surf to my website - Cambogia trim

    ReplyDelete
  23. bookmarked!!, I really like your web site!

    Stop by my web page :: Revitalize Skin Care

    ReplyDelete
  24. I take pleasure in, cause I found just what I was taking
    a look for. You have ended my 4 day lengthy hunt! God Bless you man.

    Have a nice day. Bye

    Look at my homepage AnatomyX5

    ReplyDelete